Treasures of Spain, Portugal & Morocco (Summer 2020)
Treasures Of Spain, Portugal & Morocco – Summer 2020
A kaleidoscopic adventure that takes you from some of Europe’s most cosmopolitan cities, to an exotic and vivid land of medinas and minarets.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pastéis de Belém.
- Torremolinos: Taste a selection of freshly pressed olive oils with locally made farmer bread when you stop at Almazara, the oldest olive grove in the region.
- Alfarnatejo: Hear the stories of local life as you are invited into the home of a local family to join them for a freshly prepared, traditional lunch, with wine.
- Madrid: With good food and wine, toast the culmination of your travels during a fabulous Celebration Dinner.
- Dining Summary: 16 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch with Wine (LW), 4 Dinners (D) and 2 Dinners with Wine (CD) all tea or coffee.
- Madrid: From El Greco to Goya, an expert art historian reveals the crowning achievements of Spanish painting in the magnificent Prado Museum.
- Seville: Visit the Cristina Heeren Foundation, a beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant. This private dance school is dedicated to promoting the conservation of flamenco and supports young enthusiasts from all over the world with a special focus on new talent from the Andalusian region. Feel the passion behind the choreography as you put your rhythm to the test during a dance lesson. Later, share in the dancers’ devotion as you witness emotions come to life in a flamenco performance.
- Granada: Best interpreted with help of a Local Expert, the Alhambra Palace is the ultimate in Muslim architecture – an arabesque fantasy in stone, complemented by the rich, scented gardens of the Generalife.
Top Rated Highlights
- Madrid: See the sights of the city with your Local Expert, including the Cibeles Fountain on the wide Paseo de la Castellana, Puerta del Sol and the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de España.
- Salamanca: See the golden stone buildings and handsome arcades of Plaza Mayor for which this city is famous for.
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
- Lisbon: Explore with your Local Expert, from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. Visit the Belém Quarter to see the Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belém Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit the Jerónimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Seville: Guided by your Local Expert, see the Giralda Tower, former minaret of the Great Mosque and now the cathedral’s belltower. Explore the narrow streets of the Santa Cruz Quarter and emerge by the great walls of the Alcazar.
- Seville: Step inside the massive Seville Cathedral and pass the gilded altar to view the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Gibraltar: Cross from Europe to Africa as board your ferry to cruise across the Straits of Gibraltar.
- Fes: Led by your Local Expert, wander the maze of streets that make up the ancient Medina. Pass one of the world’s oldest university’s and see the hidden courtyards, mosques and workshop and continue through the souks, an array of vendors selling food, clothes, leather goods and beautiful lights.
- Fes: Learn about the traditional craft of carpet making, gaining an insight to the designs the and the difference in materials.
- Marrakesh: Your Local Expert guides you past Jemaa el-Fnaa Square with its intriguing characters and through the seemingly entangled streets of the Medina with its many souks. See the protruding Koutoubia Minaret.
- Marrakesh: Built around a lovely inner-garden, explore the Bahia Palace with a Local Expert and see glimpses of a Moroccan kingdom’s former opulence.
- Casablanca: Explore this coastal city, made famous the classic film. Your Local Expert will show you the largest mosque in the country, Hassan II Mosque and the Corniche, lined with trendy restaurants and cafes.
- Rabat: Led by your Local Expert, see the Royal Palace and Hassan Tower.
- Tangier: Your Local Expert will show you the sights of Morocco’s great port. See the Sultan’s Palace and visit the Casbah.
- Tangier: Cruise back to Europe on your return ferry.
- Gibraltar: With your Local Expert tour the Rock of Gibraltar, one of the pillars of Hercules, affording magnificent views and see the meeting of the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the Spanish Sierra. Visit St. Michael’s Cave and see the Barbary Apes, guardians of the colony.
- Mijas: Journey to this white-washed village and stroll the streets to admire the coastal views.
- Alfarnatejo: Visit the beautiful, quiet town and walk the town centre to see the 18th century Iglesia del Santo Cristo de Cabrilla.
- Granada: Explore ‘The City of the Pomegranate’ with a Local Expert. During sightseeing you’ll see the icons dedicated to this fruit throughout the city.
- Scenic Drives: Take in the ever changing scenery of south-west Europe and northern Africa as you pass the Estrela Mountains, the Middle Atlas Mountains, the High Atlas Mountains, and continue along Costa del Sol, through the Provence of Malaga, across Sierra Nevada and the La Mancha region.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags f…
Welcome to Madrid.
Prado Museum and on to Golden Salamanca.
Holy Fátima and Lisbon.
Lisbon and the Age of the Great Discoveries.
To Seville, the City of Carmen.
Free Time and Flamenco in Seville.
The Straits of Gibraltar to Fes.
The Ancient Imperial City of Fes.
On the Road to Marrakesh.
Marrakesh, Pearl of the South.
Play It Again Sam in Casablanca.
Rabat and Tangier.
On to the Costa del Sol.
At Leisure on the Costa del Sol.
Dining with Locals and the Alhambra Palace.
To Madrid in search of Don Quixote.